subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blue Valentine

I hope you know that I love each and every one of you with the sort of sweet, sticky, inappropriate devotion that can only come from a person who writes for a handful of strangers on the internet. That said, I don't think you experience nearly enough abject misery, which is why I bring you Blue Valentine.

It's hard to feel any one distinct way about this film. It's like eating the best meal of your life, whilst being verbally abused by your closest friend. The only way to torment yourself more would be to watch Blue Valentine right before watching Melancholia, and then cap the movie marathon off with clips of suffering baby animals, while drinking too much Kamchatka vodka. Have a nice morning after. Might I suggest the Egg McMuffin?

Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams star as Dean and Cindy, a working-class couple living in Pennsylvania. Their story is told through flashbacks while they live out a couple miserable days in the present, with their daughter Frankie (Faith Wladyka).

Dean is portrayed as an affectionate, fun-loving under-achiever, while Cindy is your garden-variety ball-hammering shrew. I've tried to figure out why these two aren't able to get along anymore and other than putting all the blame on Cindy and her inability to accept love from someone who's not screaming insults about her meatloaf, the only conclusion I've reached is that as they matured, their relationship did not grow with them.

But really, present-day Cindy is just a simmering, soul-crushing hemorrhoid - which I say without possessing even a hint of a scorching case of the hungry hots for Ryan Gosling.

Blue Valentine is about a relationship, that although begins with love at first sight, never steps into the realm of the candy-coated land of the everlasting cuddlebuddles. It assaults you with every aspect of the excitement and gorgeousness of all the great relationship-beginnings you've had, then immediately bashes you over the innocent, tender head with how much the world just hates you and your love so very, very much. It does. The universe just loathes you. Don't try to figure out why, you'll never get your answer. Oh god, I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Anyway.

If this film hadn't been made so beautifully, I wouldn't have watched it several times. You never see anyone "acting" and the conversations feel spontaneous and real. When Michelle Williams eats that donut, it makes you want a donut. When you learn that Dean is supposedly from Florida, yet speaks with an northeastern accent, it makes you want a donut.

Watch it, because I can't suffer alone.
.
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

10 comments:

DogsOnDrugs.com said...

Watch it? Sorry, I've already had a ball-hammering shrew in my life. I don't need one more.

Unknown said...

But you could make it a drinking game! Take a shot every time you feel badly for Ryan Gosling.

Vesta Vayne said...

I find it funny they have Blue Valentine under Romantic movies on Netflix, because to me, it wasn't romantic at all, it was freaking depressing.

Unknown said...

I don't like crying at movies, especially around other people, but when I watched it the 2nd time with my husband I burst into tears at the end and kept saying, "Isn't this the worst? It's the worst."

Reanna said...

Now I want a donut.

Unknown said...

People always say that when I cry.

Anonymous said...

fantabulous article to memorize i penchant bookmark it too

Unknown said...

stupendous comment to conceptualize i attitude friend request it as well

Aneesh said...

There is a small inner part of you that hopes, nay wants a happy ending: things to work out somehow.. this movie takes a hammer and beats it to pulp and dances on the entrails... That aside..
I also cannot figure out why they cant get along. I see so many couples who are in the samee state .. just dragging on through life...

Unknown said...

Indeed, Aneesh. It's incredibly frustrating and sad to watch, yet I've seen it several times. Really it's the best kind of torture.