subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Monday, May 30, 2011

The Flood

I was awakened on this past Sunday abruptly by my husband, who informed me he had "a situation" and needed me to get up now.  Knowing my husband's particular phobias, I assumed a child had painted the walls with poo or something and he needed me for damage mitigation.

I walked out to find water enthusiastically pouring from my kitchen ceiling & cabinets.  Husband ran upstairs to tell the darlings from above to stop doing whatever brilliant thing it was they were doing.  I closed my eyes and tried to bargain with god to change the gallons of water filling my kitchen into a different situation.  I would have welcomed The Situation, Snooki and the whole cast of Jersey Shore into my apartment for an in-depth discussion of GTL if it would have disappeared the fresh hell I was witnessing.  I'd have been willing to mediate an argument between Sammi and the big, angry one, or even catch a few fists with my face in place of the small, drunk, delusional one, just for what was being visited upon my apartment not to be happening.

Husband came back.  Apparently, "a hose came loose".  Oh, well of course - my place is literally teeming with loose hoses.  I've lost count of them.  Water was running down my cabinets, splashing cheerfully on my counters, pooling on my kitchen floor - and now sleazily traveling along beams and dripping from my living room ceiling onto my carpet.  I hear a ping.  It's my brain. 

Guess how long it took maintenance to come?  I have no idea, because I was freaking the fuck out.  But he said he'd be there in fifteen minutes, and it was a fuck of a lot longer than fifteen minutes.  He let us know that when he got upstairs, she'd already cleaned up the water.  Oh well gooood.  for her.  Allow me to introduce you to gravity, you gentle genius.  Gravity cleaned up your water.  It's the same force working on your tits.  It's a fickle mistress!

After asking Speedy McMaintenance about sixty times, I finally wrestled out of him that the hose which "came loose" was the drainage for the washing machine.  Then, it wasn't so much a matter of coming loose, it was a matter of someone being too terminally stupid to put it in the gigantic hole properly.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to do that wrong?  I happen to know that Patsy fucking Stone from Ab Fab could manage that task, and she hasn't eaten anything except for booze and pills since 1974, sweetie darling.

So, we've got a swamp carpet that's filled with chemicals which may or may not irritate my children's skin.  We get to have carpet cleaners and maintenance staff all over our apartment for god knows how long fixing this shit, having our life in upheaval, while the jackasses upstairs continue with their inspired, inconsiderate lives, treating their balcony like a makeshift kennel - which, just happens to be right outside my bedroom - having had their lives inconvenienced by about 15 minutes, the poor dears. 

Meanwhile, our neighbors have done nothing to apologize.  If I had done this to someone, I'd have been mortified and not only would I have rushed downstairs with an armload of towels offering to help, I would have been buying them dinner.  But, to be fair, I'd hate to cut into this woman's fat ass admiring time, and completely booked dog ignoring schedule.  I'm sure she's busy.  For the sake of Pete, she must be dead on her feet from throwing a scoop of dog food out the sliding glass doors twice a day.  I am not unsympathetic.

We have been reassured that someone with a conscious mind will make sure the hose is properly stuck into the drainage hole up there.  I sure hope so.  If this were to happen again, I would definitely get arrested for snatching a bitch bald in her doorway.
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

16 comments:

E. Studnicka said...

I think I need to write a sitcom about your life.
Have you seen Bridesmaids?

Unknown said...

Masterful. If it happens again, I will WALK down there and scalp her myself....or at the very least carve a swastika into her forehead.

Unknown said...

MWB, you can pretty much not bother asking me if I've seen movies that are still in theaters. Although I lurve Melissa McCarthy, so I'll be all over it when it's released elsewhere.

Did you know that she buys stuff like ugly paintings and leaves them on her friend's porches anonymously, just so that she can hear them react to it later, creeped out? She might as well just call me on the phone and be my friend right now.

You know I'd do the same for you, Bunny Walker.

E. Studnicka said...

Who? Melissa McCarthy or your neighbor?

Unknown said...

Melissa McCarthy.

E. Studnicka said...

Ah. 'cuz I was about to say that if your neighbor does that, she can't be TOO bad.
Now I'm thinking you should paint a picture of something really awful... Tommy Wiseau nude?... and leave it outside their door.

E. Studnicka said...

Also, just noticed the picture of Darryl in the hat.
I want that hat.

Unknown said...

It wouldn't be recognizable as Tommy Wiseau naked, or even a person. I've detailed in the above post pretty much everything my neighbor does.

E. Studnicka said...

That's no excuse. Tommy Wiseau is barely recognizable as a person

Unknown said...

Be that as it may, I'm sure you're the better choice for painting Wiseau.

Unknown said...

I'm curious and confused as to why there is a sudden 87 page view spike from Russia today. Is Wiseau involved?

Erec said...

Hey. My ceilings are leaking too. What a coinkidink.

Melissa McCarthy rocks!

Unknown said...

Leaking? Our ceilings weren't leaking, they were hemorrhaging laundry water. Imagine if some moron dumped the liquid contents of a washing machine in the apartment above you, and it started coming from so many places, you had no other option but to stand there helplessly and/or scream into a telephone doing your best Real Housewives of New Jersey impression. Oh, and then for a whole 24 hours, your feet were never dry.

Anonymous said...

My neighbor spends most of his free time smoking in his garage, watching three televisions while playing video games (usually NASCAR something or other) on a fourth.

Its only 100-200 times each day that I hear him yacking and hacking up however many packs he smoked the previous night, out of his face.

While thats about as repulsive a sound as any, at least he has never been an overtly inconsiderate fukwad.

E. Studnicka said...

I'd rather drink all the water in your apartment.

Unknown said...

I still want to know what happened in Russia.

Also, there's this funny (funny peculiar) song by the German dancehall/reggae band, Seeed, called Aufstehn (Get Up) in which Cee Lo Green has a solo that often gets stuck in my head. In the video, while he's singing:

"I see the circumstances are strange - how I want you to change, but still stay the same. The less that we talk, the more time to try ... and while you were sleeping, time passed by."

he makes the subtlest expression that conveys, "wait - what did I just say?"