subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Great Birthday Explosion

Hey, guess what? It was my birthday a couple days ago and in honor of it, the Universe conspired to destroy what little hope I had left by blowing up my laptop on birthday eve.  I did what I could to repair it, but it quickly became obvious it was gone - and with it, a few things I would need to continue writing the Sims story for this blog.  I had been religiously backing up my game saves, but I may not have backed up my mods folder recently enough to get all of my new custom content - which would mean that I'd have to go shopping for a lot of it again - especially things installed by the launcher that weren't from the store.

I'm having stuff from my hard drive extracted, so hopefully I'll be able to get the photos and videos I need to continue writing the Sims story.  It just hadn't occurred to me to back up pictures that hadn't yet been made into a story.  I guess I learned my lesson.

Now I just have to hope for the best when it comes to putting my backed-up saves into my newly-installed game. 

How this all affects you is that I will not be able to post the Sims story I promised this week.  I'm sorry - but basically, the only thing that would cause this to happen is a major illness or death in my family or catastrophic equipment failure, which is the case this time.

I don't want to think about what will happen if my saved game doesn't work, or if I'm unable to retrieve the stuff from my hard drive.  I'm sorry this post isn't funny.  This situation was the least funny thing to happen to me in a long time.  But!  I did have a fairly insane experience while picking up my new laptop that will be my next post, and ... it's not at all as dry and boring as this.  Stay tuned.
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

5 comments:

The Militant Working Boy said...

What's this? An un-funny post telling me that there WON'T be a Sims update??? Well this is one blog I won't be reading again!

E. Studnicka said...

I have never cried so hard as I did when I read this post. My heart is breaking for you Nico, and for all your dear readers. I am making you a casserole as we speak. I shall try to persevere... but it shan't be easy knowing the grief you are experiencing. I hope this makes up for all the horrible haters out there who are turning against you for something that wasn't even your fault.

The Militant Working Boy said...

Oh boo hoo! Isn't life sad! Oh, look at me, making a casserole out of compassion and tears!

Pathetic loser.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! But!

New laptops make for great silver linings!

I've my fingers x'd for that you scored a graphics card that far exceeds what your deceased laptop managed.

Captcha in a sentence...'Oh ffs! For the last time, its "ingth", not, "angth"!

Unknown said...

MWB - there will be a Sims update, just not on Tuesday as originally scheduled. I hope you can forgive me for my laptop dying.

mwb - I love compassion casseroles!

konspikuous, I'll post my specs in my next post, which is about picking up my new laptop.