subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Across the Universe

The first time I watched this film years ago, I very nearly sent the disk back to Netflix in pieces. Yes, it's going to be one of those reviews - and yes, I know a lot of people just loved this movie.

As I sit staring at the movie poster, I find myself desperately wishing the plot of Across the Universe was literally about a young couple trapped inside of an inter-planetary strawberry in the vacuum of space. But alas, the movie I watched - both grueling times - isn't about space berries at all. It's about love.  Which - if you're over the age of twenty-five - means it's about absolutely fucking nothing.

Set in the 1960s, this film clobbers you with every single thing that ever happened during that decade. You would think that the story actually spans the entire decade, but no - it just strawberry-picks the quintessence of the 60s to serve you up a nostaljuice you've definitely already had before if you've ever watched The Wonder Years.

But hey, it's set to a soundtrack of Beatles songs and that's great, right?  I love The Beatles!  According to my research, there are at least thirty Beatles songs in this movie. Seriously think about that number for a moment.  Think about putting thirty great things into yourself - like thirty donut holes, for example.  They don't cease being great just because they are inside of you - but did you become thirty donut holes greater?  No.  You're still a moron and now you disgust me.

Let's get down to business anyway.
 
Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) is an idealistic, pretty young woman with a boyfriend who's just entered the military.  I didn't bother telling you his name, as he is killed almost immediately.  Vietnam sucked, who knew?
 
Jude (Jim Sturgess) is a young, artistic man who left Liverpool to find his real father in the States.  Once he gets to Princeton, he learns that his father is not a professor as he'd assumed, but a lowly janitor.  Good thing that random student Jude bumped into just happened to keep track of the names of the maintenance staff.  Unfortunately, dear old dad's not warming up to the idea of giving him the room over the garage, so Jude just finds a place to stay on campus, like you know, under a building or whatever.  It's the 60s - you can just live at Princeton University without being a student and as long as your hot plate doesn't start a fire nobody'll fuss.

Through circumstances I couldn't be paid to recall, Jude meets Max (Joe Anderson), a student at the University - who just so happens to be Lucy's brother - and they become fast friends, mucking around campus, smoking invisible joints and just generally engaging in the type of skylarking that only happens in college.  But what's this?  Max has decided that the cushy Ivy League life is not for him and he'd much rather grow two feet of pork.

Wait, that can't be right.  He probably wants to go see New York.  It's so easy to let your mind wander when you can't give a shit about what's happening.
 
So, Max and Jude go to New York City and move into a massive apartment with crazy lady Sadie (Dana Fuchs), some other people and a cat.  It doesn't take long before Jo-Jo (Martin Luther) shows up, because we gotta have a Jimi Hendrix type, or it's just not the 60s ... and of course, Lucy comes tumbling after.
   
It's at this point that I start praying for someone to garrote me, because this movie is well over two hours long, just getting started, and when you've got the whole Beatles catalog to choose from, just try getting getting out your front door without bursting into a god damned song.  Hell, if you're Prudence (T.V. Carpio) you can just lock yourself in a closet and have everyone else serenade you with your own name.
 
One thing that can be said for this film is that the songs are sung quite well - even if they are deliberately and unnaturally forced into the plot.  Imagine, if you would, a beautiful white dove humping your hand.  Certainly you'd appreciate how lovely the bird is, but you would still also remember that it just raped your hand and think, "Not cool, dude."
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

20 comments:

Minka VonBlacke said...

I love you so much for hating this piece of shit. One of my friends from KW nearly had me convinced I was without a soul because it made me literally retch.

Darryl said...

Look, I'm really happy living in my own little happy world where you were inspired to use the word 'skylarking' by me.

I used to love the Beatles. After years of being clobbered ceaselessly over the head with their songs, like some sort of love-ridden hippy stick, I eventually developed callousness to their work.

Also, hipster love movies like this make me want to reach into my own throat, pull out my intestines and strangle creators of these movies with them, then evacuate the contents of my stomach all over their stupid dying faces like you would squeeze a yoghurt tube.

Or, you know, bitch about it on the internet. Yeah, I'd rather just do that for now I think.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

I hate the beatles....so much that I refuse to capitalize their name.

I would rather smoke pot and listen to "The Wall" than watch this piece of crap. Actually, that doesn't sound like a terrible idea at all. Nico, care to join?

Unknown said...

Mink/BW - I knew you'd hate this movie. Not only is it about nothing, it's like watching Tommy Wiseau hump your favorite doll, except in the form of music. It's like listening to Tommy Wiseau sing The Beatles.

Darryl, bitching about it is my default option.

Hammersmark - this is our step pepper's favorite movie. Make mom read this. Also, I'd LOVE to smoke some grass and I'd be willing to just listen to A wall. I'm all over that plan. Meet me in Oregon. Unless Darryl's holding.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

You holding, Darryl?


Did William Holdin come to the party?

E. Studnicka said...

Ahhh... is this one of those mama mia type deals where a bunch of scary-smelling people got together in a rat-infested room somewhere and were like "Hey, Barney... what's that idea you had about turning society against one of their most coveted pop culture icons?"
"Oh yeah, Mikey, the plan is to get Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, and that other guy... cover 'em in glue, roll 'em in glitter... stick 'em on a beautiful Greek island and make them sing ABBA music. Hey! maybe we'll throw Amanda Seyfried in there too... just to make things good and freaky."
"Great Idea Barney! That'll really mess with their notions of aesthetic pleasure!"
*evil laughter ensues*

Unknown said...

Oh, god ... and so many people seemed to LOVE Mamma Mia, too! The only fond memory I have about watching Mamma Mia was the Steak-umm sandwich I ate on my couch about halfway through. It had just the right amount of grease.

E. Studnicka said...

The only fond thing I remember about Mamma Mia was the lump of tofu (yes, that is actually what they gave me) I ate on the plane ride to Ireland. Because in contrast to what I was seeing, it was actually quite delicious.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

If I never had to hear another tune by ABBA in the rest of my life, I would be a much happier person.

I wouldn't watch Mamma Mia, even if it was to throw tomatoes at the screen, or myself.

Unknown said...

Even I would eat a lump of tofu, or figure out how to throw tomatoes at myself, in an effort to stop Pierce Brosnan from singing.

Darryl said...

Am I holding? You're asking the guy in the three THOUSAND DOLLAR suit? COME ON!!

Actually, that might give you the wrong idea. Of course I'm holding; I'm Canadian. Ladies, this sounds like a wonderful time waiting to happen. It will be an excellent opportunity to explain why I think bacon /should/ be legal tender, and I can browse over some of my theories on why hands don't make sense. Also, don't you want to see me eat an entire thing of oreos? Yeah, get excited.

The ONLY knowledge I have of Mamma Mia is the reference from 30 Rock, and this confirms my suspicions that I won't ever investigate the matter further.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

Canada is my hat.

I love a good food challenge.

Unknown said...

Too much in one post to absorb. First, an Arrested Development reference, then some insanity about hands not making sense, and now he's using "thing" as a unit of measurement.

Darryl said...

Keep up or get left behind, Nico. I'm firing on all cylinders here.

I can always count on you to catch my references, which I do really appreciate.

"Why do they call them fingers? I've never seen them fing."

Unknown said...

They should call them flickers, because I'm flicking you in the middle of the forehead right now.

Darryl said...

I can't imagine why you've chosen to assault me with such wild abandon, but if you keep it up you're going to leave me no choice but to smoke some of the aforementioned grass purely for the medical purposes of pain relief. Not that I'd know anything about that.

Eeshie said...

This post was hi-larious.

*Guffaw, guffaw*

:-)

Unknown said...

Thank you! That's much better than low-larious, from what I've heard.

tattytiara said...

Well your review was entertaining, but I'll definitely take your word for it that the movie was not. It sounds heinous.

Unknown said...

If I've spared just one person the agony of watching this movie, then mine wasn't in vain.