subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Room

Have you ever watched a film so revolutionary and ground-breaking that you knew it would change the face of American cinema forever?  Well, we don't have time to talk about the movie you've just seen, we have to talk about The Room.

Tommy Wiseau is the architect of The Room - and boy, are his eyes tired.

As belabored by the establishing shots in the opening credits (as well as throughout the film) The Room is set in San Francisco and centers around Lisa (Juliette Danielle) and Johnny (Tommy Wiseau) who live in a magical row home which, once entered, turns into a multi-unit apartment building, complete with a large rooftop deck.  Also resident within its mystical brick walls are Mark (Greg Sestero), Johnny's best friend, and Denny (Philip Haliman), the mentally challenged orphan Johnny is putting through college.

Johnny appears to be some sort of exhausted, shape-shifting alien, posing as a gothic banker who deals mostly in secretive clients and bundles.  His fiancée, Lisa is a stay-at-home plotress who mentioned "the computer business" once or twice, but I believe this is a product of the ongoing stroke she is suffering.  After watching that half-awake giggle machine crawl on top of her less than six minutes into the film, an interruption of blood supply to her brain was the only conclusion I could make. 

That's right, we achieve naked, terrifying, thrusting Wiseau within the first six minutes.  I truly believe you could mentally castrate sex offenders with this footage.

By the next day, Lisa is desperately bored with Johnny, so she confides in her nose-booping "stupid bitch" of a mother, Claudette (Carolyn Minnott).  With one quick call to Mark, Lisa manages to obligate him over for a second sex scene by the seventeen minute mark. 

This would seem to be a pretty standard love triangle, but what you have to understand is that this movie is 10 lbs. of preposterous plot and dialogue in a 10 dram vial.  People wander into that apartment just for the purpose of wandering right the hell back out.  If you're on the rooftop, you're either in grave danger or in the middle of shooting a manpon commercial.  If you have cancer, shrug it the hell off - but if you shave your beard, this demands attention.  Plenty of seating?  Squat in front of the doorway.  Over the age of two?  Go to bed at 6pm.  Holding a folder?  Order the hot chocolate.   

Lisa's incomprehensible bitchcraftery comes to a climax when she grudgingly throws Johnny a surprise birthday party.  At least I think he was surprised - sleepy, half-hearted chuckles are his reaction to everything.  This is where the real shit goes down - but before it can go down, due to the magical properties of the building, it makes its way up to the rooftop, for some air - and then back down, for a second helping of cake.

Watching this movie is like being shot in the common sense by a machine gun filled with absurdity ammunition.  There's no time to recover from one moment of lunacy to the next - don't even try, you'll pull something.  The narrative thread is a hairball, and your mind is Tommy Wiseau's cat box.

In other words, you've got to see this movie.
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go out again!!??

Unknown said...

Noooooo.

E. Studnicka said...

I hope you know that this is a ground-breaking post. You are the first person to answer the timeless question: What is The Room good for? (5th paragraph)
Which, I guess is kind of like discovering the meaning of life.

Unknown said...

It's like discovering the meaning of life, and it's dressed as a turtle and giggling while dry humping your favorite toy.

E. Studnicka said...

Somehow I can't picture Tommy Wiseau as a turtle. A chicken perhaps. Cheep cheep cheep.

Unknown said...

I did not hump it, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not hump it! I did *not*. Oh hi, MWB.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

I read the entire thing, and I'm still not quite sure what this film is about.

Unknown said...

Hammersmark, it's possible to WATCH the whole thing and still feel that way.

Unknown said...

I can't believe Hammersmark hasn't seen it!!!!!!!!
I got my Netflix queue rights stripped from me for THREE WEEKS because of this movie!

E. Studnicka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madeline Hammersmark said...

I think I need to see this movie.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

Wait, is he the guy from that one Tim and Eric episode?

Unknown said...

Yeah. They found him through The Room, and HAD to use him. So he was totally dead serious about being "The Pigman" ... and you can see the honest revulsion in that girl's face when he tries to get near her.

E. Studnicka said...

The Pigman???

Unknown said...

Okay, I don't have the time or adjectives to explain who Tim and Eric are, but here are the necessary clips to bring you up to speed on "Pigman":

Making of Pigman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLHppWY2Xk

Pigman Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAkQBWnndU

E. Studnicka said...

If I don't post for a while, it is because Tommy Wiseau... ahem... Director Steevin's personality is contagious and I am now dead.

E. Studnicka said...

Actually, I am going to post in two minutes.

Unknown said...

Whew! I was just about to yell at you to give me my Black Swan review before you got all dead or whatever.

kolleen said...

You have to see it IN A CROWD. boston's coolidge corner plays it at midnight often. its a treat. last time i went wiseau was there and we got his autograph.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'd be there with spoons on if we had someone to watch the kids.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

How does one "wear spoons?"

Unknown said...

I don't even think that's the important question here.

UrMom said...

Last night we had the misfortune of watching "The Room". Life shouldn't be this torturous and all I could think about was getting the hell out of that said room. It was "cheep, cheep, cheep, and the sex about as boring as peeling nail polish off, which actually isn't boring to me, but what the hell. If I were forced at gunpoint to watch this farce again, I'd be looking for the gun that Johnny had shoved away before he could get to it. If asked for my personal opinion, publicly expressed, all I could tell you is "I don't want to talk about it".

Anonymous said...

http://www.isocom.com/newsite/images/dot2.jpg

Anonymous said...

Grrr