subheading

This is my blog, and it is dangerous. Do you think I want to die like this?





Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shh...

This thing, whatever it is, that's been going on with my ears - like most house fires - isn't getting any better.  I've always had the incessant ringing, at least for as long as I can remember, that gets louder in inverse proportion to the sound level of the room.  In silence, it can feel deafening.

I've learned to live with the ringing.  It's not painful, just annoying.

But this infernal hissing, crackling, popping, bubbling, whooshing bullshit my ears are doing in reaction to loud noises is pushing me over the fucking edge.  Before, I could just avoid the sounds that triggered it - but now that I have two kids who insist on making some form of ear-splitting sound - whether happy or sad - almost every moment of their conscious day, there is no getting away from it. 

This is not just annoying - it's physically uncomfortable.  It's like having water or wind flowing through your goddamned head and the sound of popping static, with a whipped topping of annoying, and a big, fat hand clamping down on the part of your brain that's responsible for linear thought as the cherry on top. 
Additionally, when it's those sudden, out-of-nowhere nothing's-actually-wrong screams one of the kids make throughout the day, it also alerts my hypervigilance, so I get steady shots of adrenaline.  Just for fun.

When it was only my oldest son, who had a couple colicky months, I thought it was bad.  But my youngest hasn't shut up since the day he was born.  He's crying right now, for fucks sake.  He had four long months of colic that ended just in time for teething to start.  He's loud when he's happy, he's loud when he's upset, he's loud because he's fucking awake

Not to mention, the oldest has taken to screeching and whining anytime the youngest comes near him, they're both teething, and getting over the loss of having their respective pacifiers during the day - living in a fucking dog kennel would probably be more peaceful.

So, my newest solution is ear plugs - during the day.  I hate wearing them, because they make my ears hurt, and the ringing in my ears louder, but I have no choice.  I can't get my kids to shut the hell up without duct tape, and I have to do something to take the edge off the noise level in my home, lest I start behaving like a garden variety schizophrenic.

I have them in now - and that god damned kid's screaming (over nothing) is still getting through them and rattling my christly ear drums like a tambourine.

I swear to god, I will run away if this place gets any louder.  Do not come looking for me.  I wouldn't hear you calling, anyway.  Not after I claw my ears inside out.
submit to reddit
add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've looked into this but I have this annoying thing where I feel the need to 'help'.

Gah! It won't let me paste but maybe if you looked up tinnitus. There are a bunch on homeopathic things to try.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I've looked up tinnitus, as well as some other conditions of the ear that would cause the bubbling, popping bullshit. Basically, I have to find the time and money to see an ear/nose/throat doctor, and then consider the options of either medication, or surgery. The issue is that I've been to doctors all my life, and I know how much time and money they waste not getting to the solution.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize I had tinnitus till after my son was born. I was too busy being fun.

Kids!